This blog has been moved and new updated post can be found here
This is the list of some of the best Lightweight applications available in Linux . I hope you like it . Please give your feedback in comments .
- Abaco A multi-page graphical web browser
- Arora A cross platform web browser built using Qt and WebKit
- Chromium The open-source project behind Google Chrome
- Conkeror A highly programmable web browser based on Mozilla XULRunner
- Dillo A small, fast graphical web browser built on FLTK
- Elinks An advanced and well-established feature-rich text mode web browser
- Hv3 A minimalist web browser based on tkhtml3
- Kazehakase GTK+ web browser that uses the Gecko rendering engine
- Links A text WWW browser, similar to Lynx
- Midori is a lightweight web browser based on Gtk and WebKit. It passes the ACID3 test
- Netsurf has its own rendering engine, is written in C and is extremely lightweight.
- rekonq rekonq is a KDE browser based on Webkit. Its code is based on Nokia QtDemoBrowser, just like Arora.
- Surf is another lightweight WebKit-based browser, which follows the “Suck less philosophy” . Which means, the software is even more lightweight (basically, the browser itself is a single C source file).
- Uzbl “web interface tools which adhere to the unix philosophy.”
- vimprobable Vimprobable is a WWW browser that behaves like the Vimperator plugin available for Mozilla Firefox. It is based on the WebKit engine (using GTK bindings)
- Xombrero xombrero is a minimalist web browser with sophisticated security features designed-in.
Email Clients :
- Alpine is another powerful, and user-friendly text-based mail and news client.
- Mutt is a small but very powerful text-based mail client.
- Sylpheed is a simple, lightweight but featureful, and easy-to-use GTK based e-mail client
- Claws is a user-friendly, lightweight, and fast GTK based email client.
- Sup is yet another powerful, text-based mail client; it is still under development.
Instant Messengers :
- Bitlbee is a way to use other IM to your IRC client .
- Centerim is a curses based fork of Centericq which supports several protocols.
- Emesene is a Python/GTK+ instant messenger for the Windows Live Messenger network.
Finch is a curses based version of Pidgin.(as pointed by Laurence Becker, Finch is not very lightweight application) Pidgin is a multiprotocol instant messenger.(as pointed by Laurence Becker, Pidgin is not very lightweight application)
- Conspire Lightweight, simple, and powerfull.
- Irssi is a modular text mode IRC client with Perl scripting.
- II Ultimate lightweight, literally `tail -f` the convo and `echo` back your replies.
- ircfs is a file system interface to irc written in Limbo
- LostIRC is a simple IRC client.
- ScrollZ is an advanced IRC client based on ircII.
- WeeChat is a fast, light & extensible curses-based IRC client.
- Xchat is a GTK+ X client with Perl and Python scripting support.
- pcw is a frontend for ii that opens a new terminal for each channel (depends on srw by default)
Torrent Clients :
- Deluge User-friendly BitTorrent client written in Python and wrapped with PyGTK
- qBittorrent The closest open source (GNU GPL v2 license) equivalent to µtorrent
- rTorrent Simple and lightweight ncurses BitTorrent client
- Transmission Simple and easy-to-use BitTorrent client with (GTK+) GUI and CLI front-ends
- Aria2 An advanced, lightweight CLI download manager that supports many protocols including bittorrent and metalink
Audio Players :
- Ario is very feature-rich GTK2 client for mpd, inspired by Rhythmbox
- C* Music Player is a very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.
- cplay is a curses front-end for various audio players.
- Goggles Music Manager is a music collection manager and player that automatically categorizes your music, supports gapless playback, features easy tag editing, and internet radio support.
- MOC(Music On Console) is an ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, Ogg, and WAV formats.
- ncmpc is a curses client for mpd.
- Pragha is a GTK+ music manager that was a fork of Consonance Music Manager.
- QmpdClient is Qt4 based mpd client.
- Sonata is an elegant GTK+ music client for mpd.
- mpg123 A fast free MP3 console audio player for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Hpux and near all other UNIX systems. Also decodes mp1 and mp2 files.
Video Players :
- Gnome-Mplayer is a simple GTK-based GUI for mplayer without heavy Gnome dependencies
- SMPlayer is a complete frontend for mplayer.
Image Editors :
- mtPaint is a graphic editing program geared towards creating indexed palette images and pixel art.
Image Viewers :
- Feh is a fast, lightweight image viewer that uses imlib2 .
- GPicView is a simple and fast image viewer for X. Made by the developers of LXDE
- GQview is an image browser that features single click access to view images and move around the directory tree.
- Geeqie is a lightweight image browser and viewer (fork of GQview), with additional functionality like RAW files view.
- Mirage is a fast and simple GTK+ image viewer.
- Ristretto is a fast and lightweight picture-viewer for the Xfce desktop environment.
- QIV (Quick Image Viewer) is a very small and fast gdk/Imlib image viewer.
- Viewnior Viewnior is a simple, fast image viewer with a minimalistic GTK2 interface.
- Xv is a shareware program written by John Bradley to display and modify digital images under the X Window System.
- Calcurse is a curses calendar and scheduling system.
- Remind is a highly sophisticated text-based calendaring and notification system.
- Wyrd is an curses front-end to Remind.
- wxRemind is a Python text and graphical frontend to Remind.
- apvlv is a lightweight PDF viewer with VIM key bindings.
- ePDFView is a free lightweight PDF document viewer using Poppler and GTK+ libraries.
- MuPDF is a lightweight PDF viewer and toolkit written in portable C. It is one of the lightest available.
- Xpdf is a viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
- zathura is another lightweight PDF viewer similar to apvlv, only lighter
- Acme a minimalist and flexible programming environment by Rob Pike.
- Beaver is an Early AdVanced EditoR.
- Geany is a text editor using the GTK+ 2 toolkit with basic features of an integrated development environment.
- Leafpad is a notepad clone for GTK+ 2.x that emphasizes simplicity.
- medit is intended to be a useful programming and around-programming text editor.
- Mousepad is a simple text editor for Xfce based on Leafpad.
- nano is an easy-to-use text editor, with on-screen key binding information, based on pine’s pico editor.
- PyRoom is a great distractionless PyGTK text editor, a clone of the infamous WriteRoom
- Sam a graphical text editor by Rob Pike (still used by Ken Thompson and others).
- Vi, Vim, gVim, the classic vi text editor.
- Abiword is a full-featured word processor, there is also an even lighter version in the AUR, Abiword-light.
- txt2tags is a dead-simple, KISS-compliant lightweight, human-readable markup language to produce rich format content out of plain text files
- WordGrinder a word processor for processing words .
Todo List Managers:
- Todo.txt manages your Todo list from the command line.
- emelFM2 is file manager that implements the popular two-pane design.
- Midnight Commander is a console-based, dual-paned, file manager.
- PCManFM is a lightweight file manager which features tabbed browsing and can optionally manage the desktop background.
- Ranger is a console based file manager with vi bindings, customizability, and lots of features.
- ROX is a small and fast file manager which can optionally manage the desktop background and panels.
- Thunar is fast and responsive with a good start up time and directory load time.
- Vifm is a ncurses based two-pane file manager with vi like keybindings.
- Xfe X File Explorer (Xfe) is an MS-Explorer or Commander like file manager for X.
GUI Compression Tools:
- Squeeze is a modern and advanced archive manager.
- Xarchive is a GTK+ 2 front-end for various command line archiving tools.
- Xarchiver is a lightweight desktop independent archive manager built with GTK+ 2.
CD/DVD Burning Tools:
- recorder is a graphical frontend of cdrkit/cdrtools, cdrdao, mkisofs and growisofs.
- CDM provides an ultra-minimalistic, yet full-featured login manager written in bash.
- SLiM provides a lightweight and elegant graphical login solution.
- Qingy is ultralight and very configurable graphical login independent on X Windows.
- Conky is a lightweight, scriptable system monitor.
- htop is a simple, ncurses interactive process viewer.
- BMPanel (BitMap Panel) is a lightweight, NETWM compliant panel for the X11 system.
- fbpanel is a lightweight, NETWM compliant desktop panel.
- LXPanel is a lightweight X11 desktop panel (part of LXDE).
- PyPanel is a lightweight panel/taskbar written in Python and C (HOWTO).
- Tint is a simple panel/taskbar intentionally made for openbox3, but should also work with other window managers (HOWTO).
- pancake is a highly configurable, modular panel for X.
- Lilyterm is a light and easy to use libvte based X Terminal Emulator.
- ROXTerm is a tabbed, VTE-based terminal emulator with a small footprint.
- urxvt is a highly extendable unicode enabled rxvt-clone terminal emulator featuring tabbing, url launching, quake-style dropdown, pseudo-transparency, and is extensible with perl.
- Sakura is a terminal emulator based on GTK+ and VTE.
- xterm is a terminal emulator for the X Window System.
- xvt xvt is an X terminal-emulator that is designed to be more or less compatible with xterm while using much less swap space.
- st st is a simple terminal implementation for X.
- Docker is a docking application which acts as a system tray.
- Stalonetray is a stand-alone system tray.
- Trayer swallows GTK+ 1.2/2.x application docklets, and KDE docklets.
- Awesome is a floating and tiling window manager initially based on a dwm code rewriting.
- Dwm is an extra light dynamic window manager which is configured by directly editing the source(which itself is less than 2000 SLOC).
- Enlightenment a very lightweight and extremely beautiful WM .
- Evilwm is a minimalist floating window manager with an installed size of only 0.07 MB.
- Fluxbox is a lightweight and highly configurable window manager.
- FVWM is a lightweight, flexible and highly-configurable Window Manager.
- i3 i3 is a manual tiling window manager which places client into containers.Containers can be stacked (like wmii) or tabbed (like ion3). i3 also supports floating windows.
- Musca is a very lightweight window manager which has features from dwm and ratpoison. Uses about 350-400KB of memory.
- Openbox is another lightweight and highly configurable window manager.
- PekWM is small and easily configurable window manager.
- Ratpoison is a keyboard-oriented, customizable lightweight window manager, modelled after GNU Screen.
- Scrotwm is a small dynamic tiling window manager for X11. It is written in C and configured with a text configuration file.
- Subtle is a semi-automatic tiling window manager with a strong focus on easy but customizable handling and look and feel.
- TinyWM is a tiny window manager that was created as an exercise in minimalism, and it is also helpful in learning some of the very basics of creating a window manager. It is around 50 lines of C, and there is a Python version using python-xlib.
- Twm is a classic, customizable and very lightweight window manager; possibly the first designed for X11.
- Window Maker is an elegant, fast and usable OpenStep implementation.
- Xfce is a desktop environment much lighter but similar to GNOME. It includes the xfwm4 window manager.
- Xmonad is a tiling window manager for X, written and configured in Haskell.
- Wmfs (Window Manager From Scratch) is a lightweight and highly configurable tiling window manager for X.
Help me to improve this list by specifying if I missed something . Please give your feedback in comments . This list was orginally posted at Arch Linux . I have fixed the few links and I am sharing it here with you guys .